You've decided, it's final, this is the year you are getting into shape! Congrats! So where do you start? Before you get too excited and pay hundreds of dollars for a new gym membership and buy 10 different types of protein powder and bars, make yourself a plan.
- What is your goal? Write it down and make it specific. For example: I will lose 10 pounds of body fat within the next 3 months. Remember it's I WILL… not I want to. Have a means of measuring this too, such as a body fat caliper.
- How are you going to achieve your goals? Can you afford a gym membership or will you be doing your workouts at home?
- How will you fit working out into your schedule? Will you be doing this before or after work? Do you have enough time during lunch break?
- How will you be changing your diet?
- Do you have proper workout attire?
- Write down what happens if you get off track…what are you doing to do about it?
Although all of these questions may seem overwhelming to a beginner, once you have thought these things through, you will have no room for failure or ways to get out of your plan. You have covered all areas of your “workout plan!”
Now here are some ideas of how to cover the topics I just listed...
- Make your goal REASONABLE! If you have not worked out in years, and you make your goal to workout 5 days a week, how long do you think that will last? A week or two? Start small, and build up to your ultimate goal. For a complete beginner I recommend starting out with 2-3 days a week. Get your muscles activated, let them recover, and then you can really start to build some lean and sexy muscles
- If you have a gym close to you that you have been thinking of joining, now is the time to do it! If not, buy yourself a pair of weights and get to work. Doing only cardio will not give you the results you want. If you want to change your body composition, hit the weights! (Yes, girls too!) DO NOT be afraid to lift!
- Life happens, and your schedule will not be perfect every day. Some days you might have a 2 hour workout, other days your might only have a half an hour workout. Stick to it, and be proud of yourself for completing it. You must PLAN it. I recommend planning your workouts at the beginning of every week or at least the night before. Have you gym clothes ALWAYS ready and with you.
- Now that you are working out, you will not be eating junk food anymore. So you better start going to the grocery store and planning your meals! THIS IS KEY! You will also need a high quality whey protein powder such as VPX's Zero Carb to help your muscles recover and rebuild.
- Have a few sets of workout clothes that you know you can wear and feel comfortable in. You can also buy a few new pieces to motivate you to get in the best shape of your life!
- A friend's birthday came around, you had a party at work and you missed a week of working out. What do you do? GET BACK ON TRACK! Remember you already planned that this may happen, so you know exactly what to do.