Welcome to the VPX Sports Supplement Blog

Hydration for Athletes - How much water is enough?

Posted by Big Show on Jul 16, 2012 7:00:00 AM

As athletes, we know that drinking water throughout the day is extremely important, but do we know why? In terms of body mass, human cells consist of 65-90% H2O (water).  Approximately 99% of the human body is made up of only six elements - carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus.  The remaining 1% is split between various minerals, electrolytes and natural toxins. These crucial minerals and electrolytes include potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium. To put it simply, on average the human body is approximately 70% water.

Water Does the Body Good!athlete hydration

Water goes in through our digestive system and is systematically distributed throughout our entire body. Without water a person can only survive 3 to 5 days depending on the conditions.

The body of an athlete requires large amounts of water on a daily basis to remain healthy & fit. For an athlete, water can be a huge factor in determining level of performance. If you are looking to further increase your athletic performance pre or post workout, I highly recommend CARBONX™ - a Revolutionary Super Carb Matrix that mixes easily with 10oz of water!

How Much Water is Enough?

Here is a good formula and some tips for an athlete to follow to keep their body properly hydrated. To calculate the amount of water you need, take your body weight and divide it by 1.75. This number is the minimum daily water consumption requirement.

Example: Male 225lbs ÷ 1.75 = 128oz (minimum per day)

Example: Female 125lbs ÷ 1.75 = 71oz (minimum per day)

To help you get an idea of how much 128 ounces (oz) is let’s break it down. One Gallon of water equals 128oz or 16 cups and each cup is 8oz. A regular sized glass of water is roughly 8-12oz. Below are some performance tips you can follow to keep your body at a high performance level! Remember, your body is made up of mostly water so it is crucial to stay hydrated for optimal workout performance!

Performance Tips:

  1. Drink 2-4oz of water every 20 minutes during your workout.

  2. Weigh yourself before and after an intense workout. For every pound of body weight lost during exercise you should replenish with at least 10-16oz of water.

  3. Drink at least 10oz of water 30 minutes before your intense workout.

  4. If you consume CARBONX™ before or after your workout, make sure to read the  product label and consume an additional 12 - 16oz of water within an hour after taking it.

  5. Be Smart! When in doubt…Drink some water! 

Click me

Topics: health and fitness, fitness training, health, training tips, fitness tips

Stay Connected

VPX Sports Facebook VPX Sports RSS Feed VPX Sports Twitter VPX Sports YouTube VPX Sports Instagram

Subscribe by Email

Popular Posts

Tweets

Ideas

Care to share your VPX Supplement Reviews, Nutrition Advice, or some helpful Training Tips, with the community?

Submit guest post ideas to blog@vpxsports.com .

Read our guest blogger agreement .